Re: Compiling 1.2.13 with GCC 2.7.0?

On Wed, 6 Sep 1995, Jim Tittsler wrote:

> Has anyone successfully rebuilt a 1.2.x series kernel using
> GCC 2.7.0, BinUtils 2.5.2, and libc 5.0.9?  When I try, ld
> seg faults when it is first invoked in the kernel sub-directory.

I used the same compiler, binutils and libs, but
had to use 1.3.x.

Here is the stuff from the HOWTO:

  o  The Kernel.  As from at least 1.3.8, the development 1.3 series
     have a make config option to build using ELF tools.  If you are
     using the 1.2 series, you have two options:

     1. Patch the Makefile slightly to use the a.out compiler.  Just
        change the CC and LD definitions to be

          LD      =ld -m i386linux
          CC      =gcc -b i486-linuxaout -D__KERNEL__ -I$(TOPDIR)/include

     Alternatively,

     2. Apply H J Lu's patch which allows compiling the kernel in ELF
        (and also adds the ability to do ELF core dumps).

     Let me reiterate that neither of these is necessary for the 1.3
     series.

BTW I am now running Linux on a 100 mhz Pentium with a Gigabyte
motherboard with 256K pipeline burst cache, 5ms seek time
Bus Logic SCSI, 2 gigabyte HP disk...  way cool...  I tossed
the HP and upgraded to Linux :-)   as my main workstation.
I think I am going to order a 133mhz model.   My home model
is still a slug.

     Craig Oda      12 40 82 A8 DF DD DD 30  BB 0E 26 22 E0 D8 F2 87
     craig@example.com      Public Key: finger craig@example.com
                fax: 81-3353-6096   http://www.twics.com
     Twics / IEC Building / 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 Japan