linux & nihongo

I am trying to install Japanese capabilities on my linux system.
I read Craig's html document 'linux & nihongo' with interest. A
few remarks & questions:

-Craig said that you have to have kon running before starting X,
 and that otherwise kterm will not work. On my system that is
 not the case. Kterm works also if X is started in the usual way.
-I found that 'joe' can also display Japanese if it is started
 with the option -asis. With wnn/uum you can also enter Japanese
 in joe (and also into the 'pico' editor of pine 3.91).
-I have a problem with kon. When I am logged in as root, it starts
 up normally. If I then quit kon and log in as user on another VC,
 it does not show text (it only shows blank highlighting bars,
 if any highlighting is present on the page).
 I can only run kon as user if I am running it at the same time on
 another VC as root. Does anyone have any idea what causes this?

Jan W. Stumpel                              tel (81) 3-5401-0425
Royal Netherlands Embassy, Tokyo            fax (81) 3-5401-0429