Re: [tlug] vi weird when I ssh to one machine

Christian Horn writes:
 > On Fri, Feb 05, 2021 at 09:39:48PM +0000, Darren Cook wrote:

 > > But when I ssh to a server which was set up as a desktop (Mint, Xfce),
 > > vi is then weird. I get all sorts of escape sequences appear

 > > I guess this is something in my bash profile (??) I need to
 > > edit/add/delete, on the server? Or something to do with the way I set up
 > > sshd_server?
 >
 > I would verify the contents of the TERM variable on working and non-
 > working terminals:
 >   echo $TERM

Of course, then the question is where TERM gets set.  I don't
understand why a terminal would work with local output, but not with
output forwarded by SSH.  According to the ssh_config manpage on the
Mac (interesting that I had to dig a bit to even find that, TERM is
not mentioned in any other SSH manpages that I could find!), TERM is
always forwarded from the local system.  So check your local TERM
settings.  There are several settings for the server (SendEnv and
SetEnv at least) that control whether environment variables are
forwarded, but the ssh_config page claims "always" for TERM.

Steve

Home | Main Index | Thread Index