Re: [tlug] From an enthusiast TLUG follower

On 28/8/20 2:38 pm, Chris wrote:
On 28 Aug 2020, at 14:20, Edward Middleton wrote:

You are missing the point, they could have limited international travel for Japanese citizens but they chose not to, presumably because it would have been unpopular.

Oh, no, I understand the point that you are trying to make.  It's just that you're talking about the inverse of what I'm talking about.

I'm afraid that you're confusing "emigration" (as in "emigrate from a country") with "immigration" (as in "immigrate to a country").  You confused the two in your other message in this thread as well.

Japan can absolutely prevent emigration (i.e., "leaving Japan for another country").  I agree that would have been an unpopular and unviable move, and not covered by right-of-return ... because right-of-return doesn't cover emigration.  Anyone can leave Japan at any time, if they can get a flight.

Nobody in this thread has spoken about emigration.

What we're talking about here is immigration (i.e., "entering Japan from another country").  Japan cannot prevent Japanese citizens from immigrating to Japan, so they didn't.  Japan can prevent non-Japanese citizens from immigrating to Japan, so they did.

I don't know how much clearer I can be about this, so I'll stop this digression here.  Cheers.

You are still missing the bigger picture. It is meaningless to restrict foreigners coming to the country as a protective measure against COVID-19 when your citizens can travelling freely to Hawaii, Guam and any other country that will accept them for holidays.

Edward

Home | Main Index | Thread Index