Re: [tlug] From an enthusiast TLUG follower

You're welcome!  My memory of it is that it was an add-on or
extension to the C++ compiler which enable concurrency.  I
learned it a long time ago...long before there was Boost,
etc.  I'm not sure if any of it found its way into any
recent version of C++.  Called uC++, I thought it was an
interesting learning tool.

Looks like is true that people never stop learning new things :D this is the first time I heard about uC++ looks interesting also if I am searching for something in standard C.

(IMHO) it's one thing to use standard C to simulate
semaphores, etc....but it's something else to have it as "a
part of" the language and then you use it directly to learn
about it.

My memory of it is a bit vague (it was a long time ago...I
won't say how long :-P ), but it was very positive.  I
enjoyed it.

I can't say anything here cause I never tried to use semaphores and stuff as part of the language, instead I always implemented them and I enjoyed to do that (it could sound crazy for someone :D), since when I use Linux it always made me curious about how an OS works and how to implement its mechanisms to make it work (and also always curious of how to make it crash and consequently fix it :D) maybe that's why now I want to study OS security field and hopefully one day to find a job in this field.
By the way tomorrow I have online meeting with my professor to start to discuss about thesis and we will choose the topic of the thesis (I hope to do as I said about race conditions vulnerabilities although if he suggested me other interesting topics such as weak memory models, shell injection, return-to-libc, ROP and JOP.
Will let you know.

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 5:33 PM Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:

On 25/8/2020 8:56 pm, Matteo G wrote:
> I also studied and passed my OS exam and course at
> university, that's why I was trying to find something more
> focused about race conditions, I opened the link and it
> looks pretty interesting. During these days I will give it a
> try and let you know, anyway your help was so precious to
> me, thank you!

You're welcome!  My memory of it is that it was an add-on or
extension to the C++ compiler which enable concurrency.  I
learned it a long time ago...long before there was Boost,
etc.  I'm not sure if any of it found its way into any
recent version of C++.  Called uC++, I thought it was an
interesting learning tool.

(IMHO) it's one thing to use standard C to simulate
semaphores, etc....but it's something else to have it as "a
part of" the language and then you use it directly to learn
about it.

My memory of it is a bit vague (it was a long time ago...I
won't say how long :-P ), but it was very positive.  I
enjoyed it.

Good luck with this and your search for an internship.  It's
a tough year everywhere...

Ray

Home | Main Index | Thread Index