Re: [tlug] Corona and schools in Japan

On 2020-04-30 08:14 -0500 (Thu), Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:

> I've been impressed with the direction MS is going. They are doing a lot
> better than the Ballmer days when Linux was a "virus".

Me too. With Windows 10 they now actually have a quite decent OS and,
after 30 years of trying, have clearly moved ahead of MacOS in
beginner-friendliness (though that's as much due to Jobs' culture of
looking cool over being functional as anything MS did). If only they
could manage to do the same with their applications....

Still doesn't work for me, though, and nor does MacOS, simply because
both have terribly inefficient window handling, especially when
dealing with more than a few windows. (Right now I have almost fifty
windows open spread across ten desktops, and when I get deep into a
particular project it's not unusual for me to have a half dozen or
more terminal/editor windows in active use, plus a web browser
window.)

> I do use a GUI e-mail client and web browser, but other than that
> mostly use X just as an easy way to have multiple terminals on the
> screen at the same time.

Yup, same for me.

cjs
--