Re: [tlug] GW projects

On 1/5/2020 1:15 am, Benjamin Kowarsch wrote:
On Fri, 1 May 2020 at 01:44, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com <mailto:rwan.kyoto@example.com>> wrote: China was able to lock-down an entire province.  Something only they could do, I think.
That's not true.

Italy completely isolated an entire town (Bergamo),
and they also locked down an entire province (Lombardy).

And France had isolated the city of Mulhouse. I used to live
there, and I still have contacts there, so got this directly from
the horse's mouth.

Oh, yes. I wasn't aware of France, but I did know about parts of Italy.

But the lockdown of Hubei province represents 60 or so million people. So China "wins" in terms of sheer number of people affected at one time.

When the faeces hit the proverbial ventilator, there is little
difference between what a Chinese government will do and
what a Western government will do. Implementation may not
be as efficient in certain Western countries, but the
differences in policies are mostly nuances.

Hmmmmm, I probably don't agree with this but it would be difficult to back up what I say with evidence.

I think if we hear about what goes on over in China from western news sources, we are only getting a fraction. I hear a little bit more because I'm fortunate enough to get some news translated for me (I can't read Chinese myself). I have heard many things that never made it to western news.

A government that doesn't care about the next election and which openly prioritizes the majority over the individual can achieve a lot.

But...this isn't a discussion I'd like to "win" anyway. As the national government which administers where I live, I often wish I was wrong.

Ray