Re: [tlug] GW projects

On 29/4/2020 7:21 pm, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Raymond Wan writes:
  > On 28/4/2020 9:47 pm, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
  > > Raymond Wan writes:
  > Oh...I don't know what we should call what Japan is
  > experiencing.  Is it part of the "first wave" or is it a
  > "second wave".  I thought it was a second wave since there
  > was relative calm between Hokkaido / cruise ship and right
  > now, wasn't there?  (Having said that, I wasn't paying
  > attention to Japanese news so I don't know.)

In terms of the news, maybe it's a second wave.  But in terms of the
pandemic itself, the cruise ship was successfully (if inhumanely)
isolated.  I'm not sure why cases were noticed first in Hokkaido, but
anything that starts in Wuhan and shows up in Sapporo, it can't be

I think a news article here in Hong Kong thought it appeared first in Hokkaido because of the number of mainland Chinese tourists that like to go there on vacation, especially for skiing and (I think at that time?) the Snow Festival in Sapporo. For them (and us), it was the lunar new year. So that's probably why it showed up there first.

Many cities in mainland China and Hong Kong have direct flights to Sapporo. That's probably why Tokyo and Osaka's international airports escaped the first wave...less transiting?

  > There are places that are more likely hiding data.  I'm not
  > sure if Japan is hiding data; they probably just "couldn't
  > be bothered"...  <eye roll>
That's exactly what I've been talking about!  That's why I say China
is often better because they're systematic.

Yes, and once there was the possibility of bad PR, China was able to lock-down an entire province. Something only they could do, I think.

  > There is a fine balance between informing the public and
  > causing fear.
Of course if the public were better educated in civics and STEM, and
politicians (including the non-elected pundunce variety) could refrain
from disinformation, informing the public would not induce
(unnecessary :-( ) fear.

Ugh... The panic buying of toilet paper (I think) started here first. There was "reason" for it. There was talk of closing the border with China and if that were to happen, then goods as well. Of course, we wouldn't just face a shortage of toilet paper; almost everything we buy at the supermarket is from there.

That never happened...they reduced the number of border crossings, but kept goods coming in. And now, supply is back to normal.

Why other countries started panic buying toilet paper, though, I don't know...

But it's only now that I realised how little STEM education there is. Not everyone needs to be a scientist; but the level of STEM of the general population isn't enough to sort of fact from fiction in the news (or Facebook, which is now considered news...).

  > Oh!  What I meant is manufacturers.  Canada (where I'm from)
  > had a bit of a squabble with the USA about 3M just a couple
  > of weeks ago.  We're friends...that is, until masks are in
  > short supply.  :-)

I know what you meant.  Thing is, there's no need to make those in the
U.S. or Canada when they could be made in Vietnam and Sri Lanka and
Eritrea and Nicaragua.  Diversification, not autarky.

Yes. I'm following the Canadian news and after this, they're talking about making things like masks within Canada, in case this happens again. I'm not sure how long that will stick!

Everyone has been wearing one here in Hong Kong since January. You're not allowed to enter restaurants and shops without wearing one. That's potentially 7 million masks a day and only Hong Kong...

At the rate they're being used up, it's no surprise there isn't enough to go around to places that had to import them...

As for who is whose friend, like I said, we'll have to make our own
luck in November.  I wish Canadians had the vote.  I don't even ask
that you join the Union! :-O

I have to say...your president makes our prime minister look even better. :-)

Looking forward to that November election! I hate to think that his approval rating has a chance of going up in the next few months...

But 4 years ago, I never thought he'd win in the first place...

Ray