Re: [tlug] Corona and schools in Japan

On 29/4/2020 10:25 pm, Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
On 4/29/20 6:16 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
We got a contract with Microsoft to use Teams and Stream
for lectures by video.  I haven't figured out how to use either
properly yet; there are (as you would expect) some bizarre
interactions with Mac and I don't currently have a Linux workstation,
but I bet that's as bad.
My University uses Teams for everything. We're even migrating our phones
to it. But it sucks. A Linux client was recently released. It is
packaged for several distributions and installs cleanly with no
dependencies. But it doesn't work. When i run it on my Debian system it
shows up in the process table but never opens a window. So strange that
it was released with such obvious faults.

I'm not trying to defend Microsoft :-), but I recently had to use Teams and it did work fine on Ubuntu 19.10 (version 1.3.00.5153).

In addition to my Linux workstation i do have a MacBook Pro running the
latest macOS. Teams does better on Mac; it runs and most functionality
works. Video meetings use battery at the rate of about 1%/minute though,
so i always need to know where my laptop charger is. I don't really like
it as a chat client because the UI is too big. But that's a personal

Having said that, I only used it to watch (I didn't participate :-) ) in a discussion and opened some files transferred back and forth. I didn't use more functionality than that. But what little I did use seemed ok.

I'm not sure if it would be my "go to" application, but I guess that workplace has a Office 365 subscription or something so they didn't have to pay anything additional (because they were already paying for it :-) ).

Ray