Re: [tlug] Corona and schools in Japan

On 4/29/20 6:16 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> We got a contract with Microsoft to use Teams and Stream
> for lectures by video.  I haven't figured out how to use either
> properly yet; there are (as you would expect) some bizarre
> interactions with Mac and I don't currently have a Linux workstation,
> but I bet that's as bad.

My University uses Teams for everything. We're even migrating our phones
to it. But it sucks. A Linux client was recently released. It is
packaged for several distributions and installs cleanly with no
dependencies. But it doesn't work. When i run it on my Debian system it
shows up in the process table but never opens a window. So strange that
it was released with such obvious faults.

In addition to my Linux workstation i do have a MacBook Pro running the
latest macOS. Teams does better on Mac; it runs and most functionality
works. Video meetings use battery at the rate of about 1%/minute though,
so i always need to know where my laptop charger is. I don't really like
it as a chat client because the UI is too big. But that's a personal
preference. Most of my coworkers who are still stuck on Windows actually
like Teams. I guess it works well on their platform. Go figure.

__
Daniel Ramaley
Server Engineer 2, Information Technology Services
Drake University

T: +1-515-271-4540
W: https://www.drake.edu/its