Re: [tlug] Corona and schools in Japan

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 07:25:00PM +0800, Raymond Wan wrote:

> I don't know much about Japan (sorry!) but I think everyone has been caught
> off guard with the sudden pressure to teach online.

I guess so.  People working in westernish companies, with colleagues
spread over the world, have adapted to this over time.  Here in
Japan, there was no real need, and it was disencouraged in many places.

> PS:  I'm actually studying Japanese here.  When they switched to online
> teaching, I dropped the course :-) .  I don't think I would be getting
> anything from it.  Online teaching also has issues like homework and exams
> [i.e., how do you know the student isn't cheating].  Of course, cram schools
> don't need to worry about this.

That's interesting.  I consider you rather tech affine, but you did not
even give this a try?
My mum in Germany started to learn English.  With corona, they started
to offer online, which they also upfront refused - despite knowing that
for me it's actually working nicely: I have weekly 1:1 skype sessions
with one professional teacher, and tandem partners.

Chris