Re: [tlug] GW projects

On 2020-04-28 03:06 +0900 (Tue), Benjamin Kowarsch wrote:

> Do you have an rp3, too? I would be very interested to hear from you how
> the rp4 compares to the rp3 performance wise. I have got an rp3 but found
> it wanting for the kinds of things I might have done with it.

What kinds of things were you wanting to do with it?

I have various Raspberry PIs (a couple of Zeros and others from the
2/3 series). The biggest performance issue I've had with them is block
device I/O. In particular, the SD card is dog-slow, which is bad
because that's usually the main filesystem. USB 3 is better, but still
nothing near a good SATA drive.

So while RPis are fine for dedicated/embedded applications (generally,
non-real-time ones that require a lot of CPU), they aren't really
suitable for, e.g., a desktop Linux system you can put in your pocket.

cjs
--
Curt J. Sampson      <cjs@example.com>      +81 90 7737 2974

To iterate is human, to recurse divine.