Re: [tlug] formatting HDD leaves 11.7 GB untouched

Hi Thomas,

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 9:51 AM Thomas Blasejewicz <nyuwa@example.com> wrote:
> I have a 160 GB HDD that was used in an old notebook running Mint 19.2,
> using only one partition.
> Since I changed the HDD, I would like to use this one for external storage.
> So .. I formatted the disk; the usual way; using ext4
> Afterwards, the properties showed: 8.1 GB used
> Looking at it with "disks" I get: 160 GB -> 156 GB free; 2.3% used.

Did this computer ever have Windows on it?  Recent (i.e., last 10
years :-P ) version of Windows appear to reserve a part of the disk
for the purpose of recovery.  I've always found getting rid of it to
be a bit annoying since it's usually at the beginning of the disk.
Could this be what you're facing?

Everyone else seems to have better ideas than I could offer.  So I
don't think I can give you more information.  But, like Darren, I use
a graphical tool for my partitioning needs -- gparted.  And it hasn't
failed me so far...

Ray