Re: [tlug] Bash question

Thanks to the respondents... not sure if it's protocol, but I'm gonna
put my followups in a single message:

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019, at 19:08, Christian Horn wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 05:13:54PM -1000, David J Iannucci wrote:
> > I've got an RHEL7 install on a virtual machine at work, and one
> > thing that is very irritating about it (among others), is that
> > ctrl-C does not do its job in bash. When I'm running a normal
> > process (like, say, tail -f), and I hit ctrl-C, "^C" is output,
> > but the process is not interrupted. I have to do ^Zkill %1, which
> > gets old fast.
>
> Did you try to execute 'reset', or create a new user to see if his
> profile also behaves in a strage way?

Yes, reset does nothing, rebooting does nothing. Same thing happens in
another user account and also for the root user.

> You could also open a support case, that is part of what your employer
> pays money for :)

Good idea :=) Actually the license is held by my university and I might
need to go through our ITS office to do that, and it would be a pain, so
leaving that till last resort...

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019, at 19:02, Michal Hajek wrote:
> It may sound stuuid, but just to be sure ... I guess you have checked
> the keyboard(hw) ?  Also, the keyboard map - that is - you are
> pressing the correct buttons, right?

While I recognize that you're only trying to be helpful, I'm not
inclined to dignify this with a response :=\

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019, at 22:34, Raymond Wan wrote:
> I've had this a few times before.  Usually, it happens when I'm
> running a program that is very CPU / disk intensive and CTRL+C just
> doesn't work.  CTRL+Z works and I don't know why.
>
> But I guess you don't have the same problem?  Your process isn't CPU /
> disk intensive?

Correct... this has nothing to do with the load on the server. Most of
the time there's almost nothing going on on the cpu. It's definitely a
"settings" thing of some sort.

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019, at 23:48, Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:
> What is the hypervisor and hostOS? Most probably it is to blame.

Good question :=) The hypervisor is some VMware product (vCenter?), and
honestly I'm not sure what the host OS is. Could be Win or Linux -- it's
a service offered by university ITS. But I have three other servers in
the same situation, and none of them have this problem. The frustrating
detail is that the VM with the ^C problem is the only one running RHEL7,
while the other three all run RHEL6. I feel like that difference must be
the key to the solution...

My access to the hypervisor env is limited to a management client called
vSphere. If I go into there and look at the settings that are available,
probably not surprisingly, none of them are of the sort that should have
any effect on the behavior of bash.

Dave