Re: [tlug] Getting Japanese input working

On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 at 07:26, David J Iannucci
<jlinux@example.com> wrote:
> I haven't bothered with Japanese input software for a few years now,
> because I rarely write more than a few words or a sentence or two of
> Japanese at any given time, and so I just use the converter that Google
> Translate provides ;'=} No installation needed and always available! :=)

Since I moved to Ubuntu about 10 years ago Japanese input has worked
"out of the box". I get a rather deja-vu feeling when people say they're
having problems. That said, like Dave I don't write a lot of Japanese text,
and since I keep my old "xjdic" client running in a terminal window, it's
usually easier to type "@nihongo" into it and cut/paste the results than to
do the ctrl-space to turn the IME on and off.

On my Android devices (phone/tablet) the Japanese keyboard option is
invaluable.

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University