Re: [tlug] Getting Japanese input working

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 09:12:25PM +0900, Brian Chandler wrote:
> I am trying to set up a new computer: I have xubuntu installed, and the
> first Task is to get Japanese input working. I have installed Ibus: it's
> there, a bizarre "icone" consisting of two-letter language codes in the
> darkest possible blue on a black background. If I click it, it changes from
> EN to RU to JA. (Oh yes, I need Cyrillic as well) But it has no effect on
> keyboard input at all.

I have found (personal experience only) that in the last few years, ibus
became a pain. I'd recommend fcitx-mozc (if they have mozc, I think they
do.)

I haven't tried on an Ubuntu version since 2017, and then it was lubuntu,
but the procedure may be similay. I have a page on installing fcitz-mozc on
Lubuntu, at http://srobb.net/jpninpt.html#Lubuntu

It may work for xubuntu.  Again my personal experience with ibus has been
bad for a couple of years now. In the FreeBSD section,I think I mention how
I used a little script toget ibus to work (a script that someone else
wrote), but the point is that it had gotten bad, keyboard, shortcuts
didn't work, and I needed a script to switch between Japanese and English
input.