[tlug] Trouble adding new user

Today, for the first time in a couple of years, I was adding a new user to my Linode server doing the usual

# useradd newguy

# passwd newguy

(added the password)

But when he does

ssh newguy@linode

he gets a password prompt and he types in the password, he gets "Permission denied."

I've removed and installed the user a couple of times, tried with other usernames and passwords, nothing works. My own login works fine. His username is listed in /etc/passwd

Any suggestions?

Chuck

A. Charles Muller, Professor

Buddhist Culture Research Center