Re: [tlug] Cheap e-mail providers

On 2019-03-25 23:54 +0900 (Mon), Andreas Kieckens wrote:

> Indeed forwarding would actually be enough for my needs as long as we
> can also send mail as @drakon-prizrak.com. I did a quick google search
> and found this.
>
> https://github.com/niftylettuce/forward-email

That's a brilliant little program and service! Especially nice about
it is that it can accept and forward your outgoing mail as well and do
SPF for you, which solves one of the potential problems I mentioned in
my previous message.

The one annoyance is their MX verification for mail sources; this
somewhat breaks the ability simply to netcat (or telnet) to your
domain's mail port and type SMTP protocol commands to test and verify
mail delivery. I'm guessing that's a feature that not so many people
use, though.

I might even be able to use this to replace my primary postfix
instance, with a bit of extra work. Thanks for the tip.

On 2019-03-25 22:32 +0100 (Mon), Christian Horn wrote:

> I was also thinking 'for that money, you could get a virtual server
> and host for yourself', but...
>   hosting yourself comes with the price of having to maintain
>   (adapt configs, update the services from time to time), not
>   everybody wants that

Yes. And as mentioned before, in these days of having to handle spam,
both with incoming DNS blacklists (Spamhaus, etc.) and doing SPF and
similar for outgoing mail, even "basic" mail configuration is no
longer trivial.

> It's surprising that the price of getting this hosted is in
> the area of hosting it by oneself.

Given the above (to which you need to add "handling spam from and spam
compaints about your own customers") and how cheap small virtual
servers are these days, I don't find this surprising at all.

cjs
--
Curt J. Sampson      <cjs@example.com>      +81 90 7737 2974

To iterate is human, to recurse divine.