Re: [tlug] TLUG Site with Hakyll Update

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 11:22 AM Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
> On 2019-03-20 00:03 +0800 (Wed), Raymond Wan wrote:
> > If I remember correctly, I ran some plugin to Mediawiki and it did a
> > dump of every page into a markdown file (I guess that is what you
> > did, Curt?).
> No, I don't have access to the server. All I've got at the moment is
> HTML scrapes of all the pages. But Edward has started working on
> getting the stuff out.

I can't remember what I did...but it ended up producing one markdown
file for each Mediawiki article.  I should have taken notes, but I
expected to do it only once.  I wasn't going back to Mediawiki again.
:-)

> Mkdocs looks pretty cool, actually. Though I've found things like even
> that to be overkill if your repo is stored on a GitHub or GitLab
> server: the server itself will happily render things (even images and
> SVGs!) for you. I've even done a blog post with a comments section[1]
> using this technique.

I started playing with mkdocs about 4 years ago.  I did find it quite
easy to have some menu structure, etc.  So I do like it...  Perhaps it
is overkill, but on the other hand, I only needed Apache to serve them
-- I don't know how much harder it is to set up GitLab.

> Basically that depends on whether they use an external or internal DSL
> (domain-specific language) for the configuration. A language like Go
> isn't so suited to build nice-looking DSLs embedded in the language
> itself, which is why Hugo uses YAML or similar configuration files.[2]

I see.  Thanks for the explanation!  I will abandon Hugo if I
encounter something that is very Go-related.  But I guess I'm not
[yet] afraid of learning Go.  :-)

> > Despite having a Github account with actual code, I've had little
> > experience working with others.  I'm happy to pitch in and help a
> > bit with the tlug web site, but prefer to be quiet at first out of
> > fear of driving those of you who *have* worked with others on Github
> > nuts...  :-)  Using Github or gitolite all by yourself is quite
> > different!
> Quiet is easy. Pull the repo but don't push anything back off your
> development machine; nobody will even know you've ever made a change.

Will do!  I have something that is preoccupying me at the moment.  So
I don't think I can contribute before the TLUG server goes down
[thanks for the explanation, Edward!].  But I'll keep an eye on the
repository so that I can help if needed.  As I'm not physically in
Tokyo, I have doubts I can contribute, but we can see.

I really should sit down and look more closely at Hugo vs its
alternatives, including Hakyll...  I should stop procrastinating...

Thank you!

Ray