Re: [tlug] TLUG Site with Hakyll Update

Hi all,

On 19/3/2019 11:30 PM, Curt Sampson wrote:
As far as me doing actual development on another site compiler: I'd
have some have in that if it were a Python thing, little if it were
JS, and basically none if it were Ruby. (I've written several times as
much Ruby as those other two languages put together; take my feelings
on Ruby for what you will. :-))

I'm not sure if I have anything to add but I previously kept notes for myself on a Mediawiki site. Every time Ubuntu went through an upgrade, I'd have to update MySQL and every 2-3 updates, there would be some problem and I'd have to re-install some module. I then gave up and realised (as was mentioned earlier) that the database was overkill. I switched over to markdown and mkdocs [1]. If I remember correctly, I ran some plugin to Mediawiki and it did a dump of every page into a markdown file (I guess that is what you did, Curt?).

As an aside, I also had an intranet work site using mkdocs. It doesn't look fancy, but I found it easy to set up.

I then had an idea to redo my own homepage, which was done many years ago with HTML, CSS, and some "templating" using Perl. It's funny looking at it now... About 6 months ago, I decided to give Hugo a try. I didn't look at anything else that's been discussed so far (i.e., Hakyll) mainly because I liked the selection of themes for Hugo. :-P

While it's remained on my to-do list for half a year, this whole discussion about tlug and hakyll has made me think about finally doing my web site... I guess I needed a push... Somehow, I got the barebones Hugo tutorial working but trying to do something other than a blog got me frustrated. Maybe it's time to do it...

I have this feeling it doesn't matter the static generator used. Hugo is supposed to be based on Go, but unless you do something advance, I guess we don't use Go directly? (Having said that, I don't know Go, so maybe I was looking at it without knowing. :-) )

Despite having a Github account with actual code, I've had little experience working with others. I'm happy to pitch in and help a bit with the tlug web site, but prefer to be quiet at first out of fear of driving those of you who *have* worked with others on Github nuts... :-) Using Github or gitolite all by yourself is quite different!

(But definitely no to WordPress, Mediawiki, Joomla, etc. I'd go loopy whenever an upgrade is needed...)

Ray

[1]  https://www.mkdocs.org/