Re: [tlug] TLUG Site with Hakyll Update

On 17/3/2019 2:40 PM, Curt Sampson wrote:
Ah...  Yes, quite true.  I mistakenly assumed that CMS' were those
that were built on databases, but indeed, MySQL isn't the only way
to manage content.

Yes; this is really about stepping back and thinking of the goal,
rather than the implementation. The same problem has cropped up with
"continuous integration". A lot of developers seem to have heard about
the idea of CI only since the advent of automated CI systems (Jenkins,
etc.) in the late 2000s and so they assume that CI means "automated
independent build robot," but actually the whole idea of CI started
long before that (starting to come to broader attention in the late
90s, with Extreme Programming, I think) and I've worked on tons of
projects with multiple full integration tests done every day and yet
no automation on it.

Quite right! I often feel out of touch with terms like "continuous integration" since they came about after I went to school (well, maybe it was already used in practice; but it wasn't mentioned in class...or I fell asleep during that lecture...). I'm still "in education", but I'm so far into biology that on some days, my only dose of computing is the TLUG mailing list. :-)

Indeed, many of the techniques we hear about now appear better than sliced bread, but they are often an improvement (we hope!) on something we've known about long before. All the buzzwords and the eyerolling ("Oh! You don't know about that?") hide the fact that technology is a continuum. Few things appear completely out of nowhere.

Ray