Re: [tlug] TLUG Site with Hakyll Update

On 3/14/19 1:00 AM, Curt Sampson wrote:
So, here's where we are with the current proof-of-concept (PoC) of a
new site:

1. Jim was going to contact Henri and whatever other folks are more
    intimately involved with the current site and get their thoughts on
    the general idea of "convert to static site builder +
    Netlify/GitHub Pages-style hosting." I don't know where we're at
    with that. Jim?

2. The PoC in terms of rendering the content is still sitting where it
    was last weekend: we have the top HTML pages and some associated
    images and CSS up (see <https://tlug.github.io/tlug.jp/>), and
    we've extracted the content from the original site, but we don't
    have, e.g., any Markdown files getting rendered to HTML. I intend
    to step up on this once I deal with some other issues below, but
    having someone else also interested in putting some effort into
    this would of course be good. (I've also gotten in touch with an
    outside guy who does some web stuff and has a very strong interest
    in Haskell who might be interested in helping out.)

Looks pretty good. I will try geting Hakyll setup over the weekend and take a look. The big one for me will be dumping and copying over whats worth keeping in the wiki. That would allow us to remove the RDB from our stack. I think we might also make different choices about the structure if we wern't using mediawiki. I really like what was done on

https://scrapbox.io/HNKansai/

It would be good if we could embed videos and photos from the meetings.

3. I've heard no real comments on the "must build locally and push"
    vs. "click GitHub 'Edit' button and someone else builds and pushes"
    thing, beyond "both Jim and I can see how some people might not
    update the site without the latter." I'm guessing that the
    "requires you run Linux" part of this is not a big issue :-)
    (though even that is fixable), but is there anybody around here who
    would be seriously (or even moderately) committed to doing web site
    updates for whom needing to use a Linux command line for this would
    be a deal-breaker? (Keep in mind that we'd have several people
    offering full tech. support on this.)

We have had the wiki for some time and for a long time that was pertty open access but I think I was the only person who really ever used it.

Edward