Re: [tlug] TLUG Site with Hakyll Update

On 12/3/2019 11:52 AM, Curt Sampson wrote:
On 2019-03-12 10:35 +0800 (Tue), Raymond Wan wrote:
I know there aren't many Ubuntu users among us....
Actually, I am all-Debian on my newer personal machines and Ubuntu on
some older personal servers and almost everything at work.

Oh...oops! Somehow I thought there were few Ubuntu users. Sounds like I'm the only one that openly admits I'm using it. :-)

If you install the haskell-stack package under Ubuntu 18.04 and run
"stack build", you will get this bug:....
This is a slight tweak from the standard install, which puts the
binary in /usr/local/. There's no good reason to force everyone to use
the same version and require root access for upgrades.  (I suggest you
remove `/usr/local/bin/stack` if it exists.) You may need root access
to add missing system package dependencies, though.

Thanks for the steps and the warning in your other post about how long it will take. I'll give it a try soon.

By the way, this "install your development tools in your personal
account" thing is normal amongst a lot of languages. Ruby's `rvm` and
Python's `pythonz` work the same way. Generally, think of the system
packages as being there mainly to support other system packages,
rather than for development, especially of software that will be
released elsewhere anyway.

I've been doing that a lot recently with data analysis. I'm almost exclusively using anaconda / miniconda / conda [not sure what's the proper term ... guess it's conda?] now. I wasn't aware that programming languages were heading in that direction as well.

Thanks Jim, Justin, and Curt for making such a big start!  Static web
site generation is something I've been looking at for sometime (not
with Hakyll) and perhaps seeing others do it has moved it higher up on
my to-do list.  :-)
My hope here is to make changing the TLUG site easy enough that
anybody with some curiosity and 20 minutes to spare can have a poke at
it and see what happens. So feel free to clone a copy and play with
it, and even fork the repo and commit your own changes.

Will do! It's a good step for the TLUG site as many web sites seem to be moving away from CMS'.

Thanks a lot!

Ray