Re: [tlug] TLUG Site with Hakyll Update

On 2019-03-12 10:35 +0800 (Tue), Raymond Wan wrote:

> I know there aren't many Ubuntu users among us....

Actually, I am all-Debian on my newer personal machines and Ubuntu on
some older personal servers and almost everything at work.

> ...I did play around with it (or at least try) on Sunday and failed
> using the Ubuntu package.
>
> If you install the haskell-stack package under Ubuntu 18.04 and run
> "stack build", you will get this bug:....

Yeah, "don't do that" for the same reasons Javascript developers don't
use the Node, NPM, Yarn etc. that come with the OS distribution. They
tend to be old and buggy.

I would start by de-installing the OS-distributed version of `stack`,
any GHC compilers it may have brought it, etc. This isn't strictly
necessary, but it will help avoid confusion and potential problems
based on your path settings and whatnot, and these are not actually
useful for a development environment, which is what our web site is.

Then just run the top-level `Test` script and everything should be
happy. (This has been tested on Ubuntu 18.04.)

If you want to get into the details of what's going on there you can
read the script (which is pretty simple) and also the README which
describes in a bit more detail what certain parts of the script do.

If you want to do a fresh install of Stack the way the script does
it, you can do this:

    curl -sSL https://get.haskellstack.org/ | sh -s - -d ~/.local/bin

This is a slight tweak from the standard install, which puts the
binary in /usr/local/. There's no good reason to force everyone to use
the same version and require root access for upgrades.  (I suggest you
remove `/usr/local/bin/stack` if it exists.) You may need root access
to add missing system package dependencies, though.

By the way, this "install your development tools in your personal
account" thing is normal amongst a lot of languages. Ruby's `rvm` and
Python's `pythonz` work the same way. Generally, think of the system
packages as being there mainly to support other system packages,
rather than for development, especially of software that will be
released elsewhere anyway.

> Thanks Jim, Justin, and Curt for making such a big start!  Static web
> site generation is something I've been looking at for sometime (not
> with Hakyll) and perhaps seeing others do it has moved it higher up on
> my to-do list.  :-)

My hope here is to make changing the TLUG site easy enough that
anybody with some curiosity and 20 minutes to spare can have a poke at
it and see what happens. So feel free to clone a copy and play with
it, and even fork the repo and commit your own changes.

cjs
--
Curt J. Sampson      <cjs@example.com>      +81 90 7737 2974

To iterate is human, to recurse divine.