Re: [tlug] {QT,GTK}_IM_MODULE={ibus,xim}

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 05:56:15PM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:

> For some reason, when I am running X11 client programs on a remote
> host using SSH X11 fowarding, my standard environment variable
> settings:
>
>     export XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
>     export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
>     export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
>
> work for urxvt, but not Chrome. If I change the latter two from `ibus`
> to `xim`:
>
>     export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
>     export QT_IM_MODULE=xim
>
> Japanese input starts working on Chrome (and continues to work for
> urxvt). Japanese input still doesn't work for Slack (an Electron[1]
> application), though.

As for Slack, on FreeBSD, I can get it working either in the web app, or
using the weechat-slack plugin with weechat.

> Anybody have any idea what these variables really do and what's going
> on here?

No but I've had the same issue on occasion. Sometimes, I'm able to fix it
with

sudo gtk-query-immodules-2.0 --update-cache
sudo gtk-query-immodules-3.0 --update-cache

This was mostly with Void Linux, so not sure if it's any use to you.
For what it's worth, at some point (on Fedora, I think, and definitely on
FreeBSD), I found ibus becoming more and more problematic, and wound up
switching to fcitx.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6