Re: [tlug] True Gigabit ISP in Tokyo?

On 2/15/19 9:24 AM, Raymond Wan wrote:
They didn't give me any tips.  Instead, they said a new link from Hong
Kong to the USA (via Guam or something?) is being constructed which
should solve my problem.  Because of this, they don't seem interested
in investigating further.  And that link is supposed to come up this
year or something.  It will improve our connection to .gov and .edu
domains in the USA (according to them).

I'll look more into MTU if this promised link doesn't come up.  But
downloading from home is really fine.  I've just never worked at a
university with worse internet than my home...until now.

Pretty sure your institution staff is just trying to dodge you once again, supposing they know what they're saying...

If you constantly need resources far away from your network, you either reach out closer to them or they bring it forward closer to you. Just ask Google with their proxy server constellation locally mirrored on every major city...

The cable link you refer to is "premium stuff", so to speak; it's inherently in shortage and prices will never go down as far as I can see. The entire subject is all about optimizing the delivery of the contents you seek.

Proxy server software http://www.squid-cache.org/ will certainly come in handy.

BTW, I might have some pirated video of National Geographic documentation cable-laying on their " Mighty Ships " series...

Cheers, フェルナンド