Re: [tlug] True Gigabit ISP in Tokyo?

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 3:14 PM Stephen J. Turnbull
<turnbull.stephen.fw@example.com> wrote:
> Raymond Wan writes:
>  > I used "mtr" at both locations and realised that two different paths
>  > were being used.  Within the university, the traffic was being sent
>  > through another university within Hong Kong.  So nice of the IT
>  > department of university to omit that piece of information from its
>  > users.  Anyway, after having put up with this for 3 years, I've come
>  > to realise to stop trying at work.  Just do whatever file transfers I
>  > need at home that evening...
>
> That's probably best.  However, did they tell you you should be
> getting better throughput?  If so, there are a number of things
> (specifically, playing with MTU to avoid fragmentation I can recall
> off-hand) to improve it.

They didn't give me any tips.  Instead, they said a new link from Hong
Kong to the USA (via Guam or something?) is being constructed which
should solve my problem.  Because of this, they don't seem interested
in investigating further.  And that link is supposed to come up this
year or something.  It will improve our connection to .gov and .edu
domains in the USA (according to them).

I'll look more into MTU if this promised link doesn't come up.  But
downloading from home is really fine.  I've just never worked at a
university with worse internet than my home...until now.

Ray