Re: [tlug] Why change a linux server's locale?

Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply.

If no user or application admin is complaining to you loudly, there
is probably no reason to be worried :)

I would love to, though having a development server and customer's server with differences makes me uneasy.

I don't think so.
I think this was as a feature asked for by enterprise customers in
previous years, when they were converting from non-UTF8 data
(including databases) on Linux or Unix over to utf*, but that seems
to have declined lately.

Our customers include companies with very old systems. I suspect that their data is presently is sjis or similar and they want to keep it that way. It makes me nervous and I wish someone had mentioned it when I was setting up the dev server.

[1] https://www.aozora.gr.jp/

In 18 years of living in Japan, I'd never come across that site. I don't read that much, let alone in Japanese ...

I think I'll do some local testing and see if how I can break sjis ...

Cheers

ian