Re: [tlug] Why change a linux server's locale?

Hi Ian,

On Fri, Feb 08, 2019 at 11:21:27AM +0900, マスターズ・イアン wrote:
> [..]
> 1. Do you know of any reason I should be worried about the fact that our
> development server's locale is ja_JP.UTF-8 but the customer's is
> ja_JP.sjis (which isn't even supported on Red Hat Enterprise Linux)?
If no user or application admin is complaining to you loudly, there
is probably no reason to be worried :)

> 2. When have you found it absolutely imperative to have a Linux
>  server with sjis locale?
I don't think so.
I think this was as a feature asked for by enterprise customers in
previous years, when they were converting from non-UTF8 data
(including databases) on Linux or Unix over to utf*, but that seems
to have declined lately.

Apart of enterprise customers, I see sjis still in use at
青空文庫 [1] though.

cheers,
Chris

[1] https://www.aozora.gr.jp/