Re: [tlug] Common bus over devices

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 01:40:43PM +0800, Raymond Wan wrote:

> I guess it would be great if the "seek position" was stored physically
> in a file, and then you can just sync that file.  Some of these
> settings are stored in the various .* files (and directories) in one's
> home directory.  This is perhaps true for PDF viewers and maybe
> KDE-based text editors.  But I don't know about media players.

Yes, havent seen this with media players so far.
There is also no evince for android.

> I actually rsync my files between computers (i.e., work and home) and
> I could never figure out what files I should sync and which I should
> not.  For example, I'd like the option to sync the "last opened PDF
> file and page" since I can continue reading on another computer.  But
> if there are display settings that are specific to a computer, I don't
> want that sync'ed.  I find myself repeatedly tweaking my rsync
> exclusion list because of this...
>
> Of course, one can just put the files into Syncthing / Dropbox and add
> a symbolic link from the home directory to these files to have them
> automatically sync (provided it's the same application on the computer
> and mobile device...

..exactly what I was about to suggest to you now :)

> Sometimes, standards would help...  :-) ).

Hm.. indeed.  So for example for pdf readers, having a default file
which would refer to a filename (or maybe a hash over the file)
together with the page number where the reader stopped would be
enough.  Should also do for media players, with seek position in-
stead of pagenumber.

Chris