Re: [tlug] Buying domain names

For VPS, I wanted something in Japan, with enough English in the controls that even I could know what I was doing, and something not AWS, just for diversification sake.  I also wanted cheap.  I've found Conoha to match all that.  I even wrote a simple bash script against their API to change an A record any time my home Edgerouter gets a new PPP IP.  I feel accomplished.  :)  I was used Namecheap for DDNS before setting that up.

As for registrars, I've used

  • Namecheap: They are ok
  • AWS: Also ok
  • GoDaddy can GoToHell
  • jp-domains.com: also ok

I have not yet found one that makes me excited.

-Stephen