Re: [tlug] Journals, Authors and 'Free Peer Review'

On Wednesday, October 03, 2018 05:13 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Ditto China, from what I hear, although their budgets are still growing,
the number of PhDs is growing faster.

I can't say where I am gives me a good view of what's going on in China, but with the growing budget is also a growing population. I think it's very competitive for PhD spots.

But I think the days of having a "Publications" header are gone... Such a section is broken down into journals, invited talks, non-peer reviewed work, posters, etc. Those that read the CVs and grant reviews have caught on, as well and know that filling all the sections will allow the applicant to "get it out of their system"; but the section headers also allow them to ignore a set of publications easily.

And they may also ask for impact factors and I recall in one case, they wanted the list of authors to be amended with percentage of contribution of each author. (Of course, there was no obligation to have the other co-authors verify what was put down...hmmmmm, how can someone do 99.9%? :-P )

Ray