Re: [tlug] Journals, Authors and 'Free Peer Review'

Benjamin Kowarsch writes:

 > Putting stuff there just to show off is generally not a good idea.

I gather you don't have an academic job in Japan. :-)  At least for
non-manufacturing-engineering or medical related fields[1], the cutbacks
in budgets are now affecting hiring and promotion quite negatively,
and the university level will ding you if you don't have quantity.
Of course, direct bosses connive at such charades if you have quality.

Ditto China, from what I hear, although their budgets are still growing,
the number of PhDs is growing faster.

Footnotes:
[1]  Random Nobel Prizes, even for other universities' staff, don't
hurt your budget.  Who'da thunkit?