Re: [tlug] Journals, Authors and 'Free Peer Review'

On Saturday, September 29, 2018 05:37 AM, Benjamin Kowarsch wrote:
On 29 September 2018 at 00:10, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com <mailto:rwan.kyoto@example.com>> wrote:
    Maybe ArXiv allows it to reach a wide audience but just
    having people tweet or "like" it doesn't give me any
    confidence in it.
And if your paper happens to be in a database that is not behind a paywall and widely used, it means it will be available to a wider audience, thereby increasing the likelihood of getting citations.

That's all there is to it.

It has nothing to do with Twitter, nothing to do with likes.

Honestly, there really isn't a point in continuing this thread. If we reach a point where one sentence in a very long e-mail gets singled out and thrown under a microscope, then any manner of civilized discourse has been thrown out the window.

For example, you could reply with a simple, "Why do you think there are tweets to ArXiv?" And perhaps I would reply with a "Oh, I see. I should clarify with..." But, instead you chose this manner of response, which is quite unnecessary. We've used up a lot of TLUG's inbox -- sorry to everyone else!

At least for me, this thread has been most informative as I thought it was interesting to hear from those who obviously have very strong feelings in support of ArXiv. Alas, such people aren't people that I know either at my current workplace or any previous workplace that I have been at. (They have no objections to submitting to ArXiv, but definitely aren't strongly in support of it.)

Of course, I never had an intention to change your opinion and I would think you knew you can't change someone else's as well. It seems that your beef is primarily with the "paywall" and mine is with "peer review" (or lack thereof). They are actually two different reasons that are invariably linked -- but they don't have to be. Some day, someone might prove us wrong with a free (or reasonably priced) site with properly peer reviewed work.

In any case, I posted the results of the ACM SIGIR survey a few days: http://sigir.org/forum/issues/june-2018/ (See "SIGIR Community Survey on Preprint Services" by Diane Kelly.) Perhaps if you're interested, you might want to see what others thought.

Have a good weekend!

Ray