Re: [tlug] Installing from source

On 2018-09-26 00:01 +0900 (Wed), CL wrote:

> It also asks that GLIB2.0 be upgraded to v.2.28 or higher.

You start to get into nightmares like this (changing libc on a system
is decidedly 'non-trivial') and you should really, really look to see
if you can run what you need in a Docker container.

A Docker container runs on the same kernel as the hosting system, but
so long as you can live with that the entire userland can be replaced
with whatever you like, with no interference with the system hosting
the container. And people often create containers for specific
applications to save you the trouble of doing it yourself.

I've never personally run an X11 client in a Docker container,
displaying on the server outside of the container, but it's certainly
possible and probably not that hard to do once you figure out any
authorization[1] issues. (I would guess it's a simple matter of
mounting the correct sockets and .Xauthority and whatnot files into
the container.)

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_authorization

cjs
--