[tlug] Presentation for Next Technical Meeting

I've recently put a bunch of work into making my urxvt look nicer and,
while I talked a bit about this at Andreas' meetup, I didn't get into
a lot of detail. I think there's plenty of interesting material for a
full 45-60 minute presentation, and so, I offer:

    Fonts and Resources and Terminals! Oh My!
    The X11 server and urxvt.

    Abstract:
    Starting with a brief introduction to the rxvt-unicode (urxvt)
    terminal emulator, I then discuss in detail how it arranges for
    its characters to be rendered in an X11 window. I cover the Xft,
    Fontconfig and FreeType libraries used by urxvt and many other
    programs, and also touch on Pango, an alternative to Xft. The
    presentation should leave you with a much better understanding of
    how fonts and font selection work in most X11 clients and will
    probably also demonstrate that urxvt is at least a bit better and
    more flexible than your current favourite terminal program.

    My X11 Fonts notes[1] briefly outline some points I'll touch on
    and describe some handy commands for listing and querying fonts.
    I'll also introduce the urxfont[2] program for easily tweaking any
    parameters of the font you're using in your current urxvt.

[1]: https://github.com/0cjs/sedoc/blob/master/linux/x11/fonts.md
[2]: https://github.com/dot-home/cjs0/blob/master/bin/urxfont

I'm also collecting background information which may influence the
presentation; fill in my survey: <https://goo.gl/forms/K6vugDV1qRKWrOkB2>.

cjs
--
Curt J. Sampson      <cjs@example.com>      +81 90 7737 2974