[tlug] Window Managers

On 2018-09-06 11:35 +0200 (Thu), Josh Glover wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 at 10:50, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
>
> Ooh, which one do you use? I too use a non-tiling WM to do stuff
> that people think you need a tiling WM to do, but it has recently
> broken in Ubuntu....

Which WM are you using?

After years of careful consideration I upgraded from FVWM 1 to FVWM 2,
which means I've now used three window managers in the last couple of
decades (twm was the first). Yeah, I know; I'm a wild and crazy guy. :-)

Last year I posted here a bit about my general philosophy of why
stacking (if used correctly) is better than tiling.[1] While I
wouldn't say my FVWM 2 configuration[2] fully implments all mouse-free
(and mouse-low) actions I consider desirable, it's in good enough
shape that its extremely usable. There's further stuff I'd like to
have in terms of zapping windows to particular places and sizes, but
it's not as much that I'm uncertain if an unmodified fvwm2 can do that
stuff as I am not fully clear on what's needed. (Perhaps Saturday's
head-to-head with a tiling WM fan will help solidify those ideas.)

[1]: https://lists.tlug.jp/ML/1711/msg00011.html
[2]: https://github.com/dot-home/cjsdesktop/tree/master/dot/fvwm

cjs
--