Re: [tlug] [tlug-admin] [announcement] July 14th, 2018 Technical Meeting - *Location*

On 11 July 2018 at 21:47, Schwartz, Fernando G. wrote:
On 07/10/2018 02:19 PM, Edward Middleton wrote:
> As part of this they will be putting on a breakfast including croissants
> and other breakfast food to celebrate France’s independence day which is
> on the 14th.

Just to be precise whenver we can, there isn't " France Independence Day
". 14th of July is France's national day because it's more like " French
men and women's day " or " government by the people, for the people "
day sort of. No independence involved.

Well, in a sense it was independence from an absolute monarch. In French it is simply called le quatorze juillet (the fourteenth of July) and French calendars mark it as fete nationale (national holiday). In English it is called Bastille day. The Bastille was an infamous prison which was a symbol of the monarchy and its absolute power in pre-revolution France. The revolutionaries stormed the Bastille on July 14th 1791 and this is considered to have been the defining moment of the French revolution, hence the day is celebrated as a national holiday.

And no, I haven't looked that up on Wikipedia.

:-) neither did I