Re: [tlug] fanless pcs

On 4 July 2018 at 23:15, Stephen Lee wrote:
> > The GT710 is a short, low-profile card that will run 4K resolution
> > (though only at 30 Hz) and it costs about ¥3000.
>
> As far as I can tell, that card is PCIe 16x. The ThinkCentre M55 only has a
> PCI and a PCIe 1x slot. I don't think there are any PCIe 1x graphics cards

You are (sort of) in luck that there is exactly one PCIe x1 GT710 on
the market.

http://kakaku.com/item/K0000872584/

Wow. How did you find this? I was searching for PCIe 1x graphics cards for an hour or two but the results I got were all x16. Anyway, thanks for the link.

The DIMMs I ordered for the RAM upgrade will be delivered on Saturday. Once I have upgraded the RAM I will install a new OS and get my environment working with the onboard video and my 19" monitor. In a couple of weeks I might get that card for dual headed operation with the other monitor I have. This then leaves me with the option of getting a large monitor in the future, perhaps when I stumble upon a second hand bargain. Although I will probably be tempted to get a Liva Z fanless PC instead, with the N4200 that Curt recommended. I don't anticipate I will have the budget for both this year as I am hoping to be able to go back to school next year in Germany to obtain a Meister diploma and whatever money I can make this year above what we need for food and shelter has to be saved to cover school fees.

Too bad there's nothing better (say a GT1030 which can drive 2 4k 60Hz
displays) for the moment, unless you try a x1 to x16 extension like
those used by bitcoin miners, which given the additional cost perhaps
you are not willing to.

Haha, I don't think two such large monitors would even fit on my desk :-)

Besides, I am not that geeky when it comes to computer hardware. I used to be. In the mid 1990s I had a room full of VAXen, SUN Sparc pizza boxen, DEC Alpha workstations and servers and other geek stuff in my company-paid expat apartment in Tamachi.

But nowadays I'd rather drool for bakery equipment. There is this stone grinding grain mill ...

https://mockmill.com/eu/

and a proofing cabinet ...

and this amazing firebrick clad stone oven ...

https://www.backdorf.de/Geraete-Shop/Elektro-Steinbackoefen/Mono.html

with which you can make amazing tasting bread that you simply can't buy anymore, like this one ...

https://imgur.com/4nNULRd

beats computer hardware hands down :-)

Anyway, thanks for finding that card.