[tlug] "Assignment" "Expressions"

On 2018-07-03 16:57 +0900 (Tue), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> 6.  People who have used professionally languages that have assignment
>     expressions (pure functional languages excluded) need not
>     apply. ;-)  Those who use the exclusion must be able to explain
>     *why* the exclusion is necessary.

Which pure functional languages have assignment expressions, beyond
ones from libraries or your own code written in the lanuage itself
(e.g., Control.Monad.State) that are just faking assignment anyway?

>     (The answer is NOT "Python
>     doesn't have an assignment expression yet".)

Well, technically, Python doesn't have an "assignment operator" that
does only that. (I'm always scratching my head over whether `=` is
doing binding or assignment.[1])

[1]: http://ashtonkemerling.com/blog/2013/04/30/binding-vs-assignment/

cjs
--