What kind of throughput/write speeds/IO are you expecting?

(Rebuilding arrays after failed cards is a nightmare, and always happens on Friday).

Grb

On 28 June 2018 12:22:48 GMT+09:00, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
On 2018-06-22 23:39 +0900 (Fri), CL wrote:

- Six Toshiba 3Tb HDDs, which I want to use to make a hardware RAID 5
long-term storage disk.

Don't do it. I've worked with a lot of hardware RAID systems (more in
the '90s than now) and the cheap systems, by which I mean
sub-$100,000, have invariably been less reliable and had more problems
than good software RAID such as is currently available in the Linux
kernel.

This isn't so suprising, really, considering:

1. Linux kernel RAID has probably seen hundreds to thousands of times
as much testing as any on-motherboard hardware RAID system.

2. The lack of flexability (e.g., not being able to pull your disks
and drop them into another system) can really hurt your chances of
recovery when things start to go sideways.