Re: [tlug] White Box: Some Assembly Required ...

Hi CL,

here's my word of advice regarding RAID5 and long term storage.
I used to work, among other things, as a system and network admin for a large Institution,
so before the advent of large scale virtualization we used to have a great number of servers
set up with RAID 5 , RAID 6 and hybrid schemes such as RAID 5 plus hot spares.

When you read "very high fault tolerance" in a certain RAID scheme, please take note this fault tolerance only refers to physical disk failures.

In case one or two (depending on the scheme) of your disks do fail, your data is still safe.

BUT, no RAID will protect you from:

- filesystem-level corruption. That cannot be prevented by RAID schemes.
- logical corruption within the array itself. If your controller for any reason is malfunctioning.
you may not notice it until your striping / parity data is too damaged for any reconstruction attempt. Also, parity inconsistency caused by system failures can be as bad. Been there, seen that.
- failure of the RAID controller itself. Yeah, that can be a single point of failure, and a very bad one. One does not simply swap in a new RAID controller.
- failure of two (in case of RAID5) or more (in case of RAID6) disks within a short period of time.

Any of the the above can hurt really bad, it can happen, and has already happened many times. Please set up another kind of alternative or offline backup. RAID 5 is mostly about performance and some disk fault tolerance.
Don't use it for long term storage, it's not safe. Any striping / distributed parity scheme will effectively prevent you from recovering your data by most offline means.

If you want something a bit more reliable, that will allow you to recover your data in case your controller fails, at least use mirroring. If possible, mirror to more disks, not just 1:1. I would rather setup a rsync job that does the trick during the night.
Avoid using any kind of striping, that would be really bad.

Also, disks of the same production lot of just from the same manufacturer have an eerie tendency to fail reliably in the same manner. Again, you don't want to lose two disks within hours, even if you do pure mirroring.

That's it.

Bye,

Inverse