Re: [tlug] Bogus Japanese zipfiles [was: Kudos to Jim Breen]

On 26 June 2018 at 20:10, Kalin KOZHUHAROV <me.kalin@example.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 5:05 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull
> <turnbull.stephen.fw@example.com> wrote:
>> I still occasionally get zip files with Shift JIS-encoded file names.
>>
> LoL, after many years of occasional need to wrestle those, I published this:
>
> https://github.com/thinrope/gentoo-nifty-scripts/blob/master/usr/local/bin/jzip
>
> (although it is somewhat Gentoo-related (paths), the script is mostly
> standalone)
>
>> I forget the exact syntax, but something like
>>
>> python -m zipfile --extract --filenameencoding=shift_jis bogus.zip
>>
> I think patching upstream (zip, p7zip) is still better, but haven't
> had urge to do it.

One day someone will publish a list of the evil things we can blame
on Microsoft, and close to the top of the list will be inflicting us with
Shi[f]t-JIS.

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University