[tlug] xfce setup

Hello! A rather basic question about setting up a system to run something usable. I have a box with Ubuntu and the Unity thing, which I am not able to use. (Philosophically, I mean) I previously used xubuntu (I think), which seems to be ubuntu plus the xfce window manager; I found this usable because I have language, and cannot bear looking at blobs all the time. So I want menus with words, or abbreviations written in them, which I can read, remember, and look up on the internet. I also want to be able to specify things like dates to be written yyyy-mm-dd, always, with none of the mountains of crap which send me into paroxysms of anger. (Bendy windows, translucent windows, windows which sparkle in the twilight, etc etc etc)

Given a system with Ubuntu+Unity installed, how would I convert it to Xubuntu+xfce? (Or is there something quite simple, and much better?)

The dates thing is part of an entirely rational hatred of the "locale" concept; I have found that something called "English in Danmark" comes closest, but still goes wrong occasionally. I am also struggling (on my older box) with what seems to be AS* software: instead of being able to specify the default orientation, paper size etc for a printer, every time I use something different, this crap leaps into action, and for several days to come I have to remember to check every option every time, until it accepts that I probably know how I want to print.

AS: yeah, artificial stupidity

sorry about the ranting, but I would be grateful for suggestions.
Brian Chandler