Re: [tlug] Tuesday at THS: "Sync and share your data with Syncthing"?

On 2018-03-01 07:51 +0000 (Thu), Darren Cook wrote:

> ...with Dropbox you can be sure it will be working 24/7, but
> Syncthing requires the user to run a server and guarantee that
> themselves.

But you can run multiple servers such that so long as any single
server is running you'll be working, can't you? I'd think that setting
up one or two in AWS and another one or two in Google Cloud would
provide pretty darn high reliablity 'out of the box' so long as you're
not making configuration changes to the servers.

On 2018-03-01 10:28 +0100 (Thu), Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:

> Same here! Any chance to record and/or stream it?

I'm not up to doing that, but I'll ask the presenter if he'd be
willing to do it again at a TLUG meeting at some point. (And if we'd
be willing to get together and throw a few thousand yen donation
toward THS in exchange, that would probably make him more willing.)

> I have been toying with the idea (offering syncthing storage) for a
> few months, but not looking yet for customers.

What would be the advantage here over something like Dropbox or Google
Drive? And in particular, is there any reason a company using full-up
G Suite ($12/month/user with unlimited file storage as well as all the
other Google applications) would be interestedin keeping their files
off of Google, given that all their email etc. is stored by Google
anyway?

> I still try to get the how the code works (or why), and I cannot
> fully trust it yet.

So what have you done in that area and what have you found out?
What are your concerns in terms of understanding the code?

> And I hate that there is no proper support for hard links (I want to
> keep a big (5-10 GB) store of things (e.g. maps) shared read-only
> between many devices, with "root" on a server; yes this is NOT P2P
> mode, but I need it).

How do hard links help with this?

cjs
--