Re: [tlug] Iptables trouble

On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 5:54 AM, David J Iannucci
<jlinux@example.com> wrote:
>> > :INPUT DROP [150:10296]
>> > :FORWARD DROP [0:0]
>> > :OUTPUT ACCEPT [42178:3090645]
>>
>> What do the numbers in square brackets mean? I can't recall ever
>> having set them.
>
> Darren, I believe those are counters of the number of packets processed
> by those rules (this is output by iptables-save),

Aha, I remembered! That is correct and another example of mixing state
data with configuration data in one file :-D
(Technically state data should go to /var/lib, while settings in /etc;
well, in this case file is often in /var/lib and one can argue that it
is only a state, though there are no settings per se).

> although when I tried
> to confirm that once by sending some packets through, the counters
> didn't get incremented as I expected, but... whatever :=)

I guess you need to do `iptables-save` or something, before the file
on disk gets updated.

Cheers,
Kalin.