Re: [tlug] Subtitle Formats of Foreign Shows in Japan

On 12/05/2017 10:06 PM, Curt Sampson wrote:
So I'm not clear: were you actually able to check the streaming shows
to ensure that the subs in the streaming versions were not hard-coded
into the image?

cjs

No.  Or, I should say "Not until I asked."  And the answer is: DVD is soft coded while the streams of these particular shows are "usually" Japanese-only and hard codes.  The Amazon Q&A person who replied says that there are "some" switchable multilingual streaming shows and that the Japanese description will say "ソフトコード".  My understanding is that if it isn't mentioned, the subs are hard coded.

CL