Re: [tlug] Subtitle Formats of Foreign Shows in Japan

On 12/05/2017 09:55 AM, Curt Sampson wrote:
On 2017-12-05 07:12 +0900 (Tue), CL wrote:

and Amazon options offer kanji, hangul, and English soft-coded
supers, so we may go with Prime and pretend this issue never arose.
Have you verified that the particular shows you want have this? The
interface for Prime certainly offers various subtitle options, but the
other day I watched a few episodes on Prime from four different series
(a couple produced by Amazon, a couple produced by U.S. networks) and
all of them had Japanese subtitles hard-coded into the video stream
with no subtitle options available at all. (This seems common for

Been there, asked this.  My daughter confirmed that the multi-subs are on the DVD version(s) of the shows she brought to my attention ... although, three out of four are also available by streaming. She's offered to "let" me order them for her she and her mom with one of my registered credit cards.  Seems as though I ordered some PC parts on her All-in-One when my main work PC died suddenly and she saved the card information in her Blur account before I erased the transaction ...

Hard coded subs are a deal killer for me, especially when I am watching a Japanese or German broadcast to brush up on my conversation skills.

foreign programs in Japan, at least English-langauge ones, for many
services. Hulu used to do this a lot, and back in the day when I
watched digital television it was the same for many foreign shows
IIRC.)

cjs

... or programs in South China and Taiwan with long form kanji down the right side of the screen, short form down the left side, and English across the bottom (and sometimes Mongolian across the top) ...

CL