Re: [tlug] Home LAN, Part 2 Decoding Saved Program Formats

On 12/01/2017 03:19 PM, Edward Middleton wrote:
Cat5e is the minimum for Gigabit Ethernet. If you are looking future
proof Cat6A which (will handle 10Gbit) is Cat7 at a lower price.

Edward

Thanks for the information.  I have shiny new Cat7 cables for all of my connection needs.  The price difference between Cat7 and Cat6 was negligible, so going for the higher spec was easy ... except for the part where Cat7 is mostly available only in black and white, which means that a month from now, looking at the router and trying to remember where each line goes will be interesting.  I also discovered that my tried and true 8-port hub is 10 base-T, so it has retired, replaced by a Buffalo Gigabit hub. Now I can send misinformation and bad math out to my clients at 10x the old speed.

NEXT PROBLEM:

The new Hikari TV tuner uses a different file format than the NTT one.  The Y! Mobile guy says the new tuner format is "Sony ... something" and that it replaces "another format of some kind that is totally different" ... and THAT is the most technical information I have been able to find anywhere, so far.

The REAL bosses in my house have informed me that the external HDD attached to the Hikari TV tuner has several "can't be lost" series and programs, and could I please download and save them to one of the internal HDDs ... which has led me to discover something VLC can't do, much to my shock and disbelief.  Has anyone been able to view the file directory on a TV tuner HDD and download / convert the files to, say .mkv or .mp4 format?  Is there something that runs on Debian that would allow me to see the file directory to at least pick files off the disk and move copies to another location in hopes of finding a solution "later"?

CL