Re: [tlug] City of Munich switches from Linux to Windows

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 04:04:34PM +0100, Jens John wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 10:16:45AM +0100, Christian Horn wrote:
> > - One of the technical comments which are around are that the pro-
> >   ject tried to much, in creating an own debian based distro.
>
> I cannot fathom why anybody thought this was a viable idea. RHEL and SEL
> exist for a reason; the overhead of developing and maintaining custom
> distro derivates, especially on a base as diverse as Debian where some
> packages or subsystems are of wildly varying quality (Lua support in the
> current Stable release is especially bad) and lack an enterprise QA
> process is staggering.

I am not sure if 'creating an own distro' imlpied to much, I do not
think they recompiled debian by themself.  IIRC it's more shipping de-
bian with many packages ontop, own kernel (fixes for hardware can get
shipped before upstream accepted them), fixes for libre/openoffice.

They have own QA and knowledge to fix things by themself.  If using
RHEL or SEL, then they benefit from distributors QA on the shipped
packages, but all packages they change ontop have to be QA'ed by
them.
>From what I have seen, they also have a good level of knowledge di-
rectly in the team, for fixing and implementing things by themself.

Chris